Barriers to Growth
Do you ever wonder whether you’re getting the most out of your personal growth work?Does it feel like with all the books, videos, courses, TV, radio, podcasts that you consume, that you should be making more progress?
Maybe you’re just starting on a new path and want to know what pitfalls to avoid. Or maybe you’ve been doing your work for a while and are now stagnating.
Maybe some aspect of your life (or your experience of it) is not transforming as quickly as you’d like. Or maybe you have some chronic life circumstance or relationship dynamic that keeps showing up for you, repeating itself in different forms. New face, same old shit.
Why is that? What’s holding you back from getting what you want?
Whether it’s improving your relationship with yourself, others, or all of life, there are several factors – both internal and external – that could be hampering your progress.
As you read through the list below, take notes when you feel one of these resonates with your situation.
Clarity of Purpose
- You don’t have a strong enough reason “Why”.
- You like the idea of growing, but there isn’t enough pain or promised pleasure to inspire you to make a substantive move
- You don’t have clearly stated goals & objectives
- You don’t measure or evaluate progress towards those goals
- Working on the wrong level of self for the outcome you’re looking for (persona/identity, self, universal)
- Addressing the symptoms only. Don’t know what the underlying problem is.
- Confusion around personal growth concepts – poor explanations of the topic.
- Don’t know what other work it out there to help you
- Don’t know which tools to use when
- Don’t feel prepared or you don’t have the resources to take on the risks of growth and change.
- Unintended consequences keep snapping you back into old ways of being.
- Supportive Environment
- You don’t have support and encouragement to pursue new ways of being.
- You are surrounded by people who are invested in you staying the same and are keeping you in old patterns of being
- You don’t have a role model demonstrating what the end state looks like or how to get there
- No accountability or motivating force to keep you on the path
- Don’t have the right place or people to practice regularly
- No safe space to be yourself, be vulnerable and explore your true thoughts and feelings
- You get distracted from the goal.
- You have an aversion to the discomfort of uncertainty or effort.
- Your desire for pleasure, entertainment, comfort, and convenience is greater than your desire to really change the situation.
- You just want to feel good, and reading books and listening to inspiring talks gives you a little break from the pain of your reality
- Your self-esteem is low enough to keep your entangled in unhealthy relationship dynamics.
- Outdated beliefs are keeping you from making better choices.
- You don’t feel connected to your core and are unable to make fundamental changes.
- You haven’t yet taken full responsibility for your thoughts, feelings, and actions.